The purpose of the Neighborhood Watch Program is to create an alert neighborhood by using simple crime prevention methods. The program works through the mutual aid of neighbors watching the property of other neighbors.
A Neighborhood Watch Program has several advantages including the fact that your neighbors know who you are, what type of car you drive, and who belongs at your residence. A patrol officer driving by your home might not recognize someone as a stranger in your yard. However, an alert neighbor would recognize the person as a stranger. It is the combination of concerned residents and law enforcement working together to reduce residential burglaries and other crimes.
Some of the benefits of establishing a Neighborhood Watch Program where you live include:
- You will have an opportunity to meet and get to know your neighbors.
- You will learn how to recognize suspicious activity...a good witness is often the best lead to solving a crime.
- You will learn about the 9-1-1 system and how to report a crime.
- You will learn about specific problems in your neighborhood.
- You will learn about home security techniques.
- You will learn about engraving household goods for identification for fast recover should they be stolen.
- You will learn tips on landscaping, lighting and security alarms.
- You will meet dedicated police personnel who are concerned about preserving the integrity and safety of your neighborhood.
The Scotts Valley Police Department wants to help you start a Neighborhood Watch Program. For more information, Click Here, or contact Sgt. Meredith Roberts at email@example.com